Friday, February 25, 2011

I would like to thank the academy

Very few things light a fire under my perfectly-fitting-and-exquisitely-broken-in second hand boots quite like the Oscars. This is the case for one reason, and one reason only...the red carpet. I don't care who takes home the Best Actor statue or whose set was the most realistic or which score tugged at the greatest number of heart strings. I might care a little bit about Best Costume Design, but only a little, because this prize is most often won by designers who work on period or sci-fi pictures, like 2011 nominee, Alice In Wonderland (not to marginalize the talent found therein - Alice In Wonderland made me pee my costume design panties - it's just that, in my opinion, the "best" isn't always found in the most grandiose or fancy or commercialized). The bottom line is, I get off on the red carpet.

I want to see Versace and vintage Chanel, Badgley Mischka and Elie Saab, Herve Leger, Marchesa, Tom Ford and Giorgio Armani - the tried and true. I want to see glamazons in Louboutins, Jimmy Choos and Prada stilletos. I want to see Fred Leighton and Neil Lane diamonds dripping off of airbrush-perfect spray tans under perpetually sunny southern California skies...I want to see the fantasy and I want to see the BEST. And, let's be honest...I want to see who bombs. I want to see the Helena Bonham Carters and the Bjorks. I want to be the first to know whose stylist huffed too much nitrous the night before and forgot that a high neckline doesn't work for a larger-than-average bust or that strategically placed geometric shapes can be an absolute mess, no matter how gorgeous the girl.

So, if you're as excited as I am, check out the 2011 Academy Awards, and then forget Joan and Melissa, tune in to Seattle Shop Girl following the Oscars for red carpet do's, dont's, and dish! See you in 48 hours!!

No comments:

Post a Comment