Thursday, March 31, 2011

A Tale of Two Price Points

I'd like to tell you a quick story about perspective. In the shop I run, we carry a line of pretty pricey jewelry. A substantial, semi-precious and sterling necklace can run you upward of $500. These pieces are 100% worth the money, hand-crafted by artisans who work within a small, socially conscious co-op. They plant trees and donate a generous percentage of their profits to various organizations and to groups in crisis. Not to mention the fact that their baubles are absolutely beautiful, one-of-a-kind, and timeless.

A few weeks ago I was working with a 20-something who was wearing a necklace reminiscent of those selling in the shop. I admired it and she informed me that she got it at Forever 21. The necklace most likely ran her around $14.90 + tax and, upon further inspection, I found that it was made of brass colored plastic that reads as metal and clear plastic beads that read as quartz. In her rush to make her purchase that day, she left her knock-off hanging in my fitting room. I've worn it around the shop a couple of times while waiting for her to return to claim it. Each time I wear it people compliment me on it and ask if I sell it in the shop, some even going to far as to ask if it was made by the crafstmen mentioned above.

The moral of the story is this: don't fret if you can't afford to drop $500 on a gorgeous necklace or designer handbag right now. Pay your rent, buy organic produce, and get yourself a nice knock-off. Wear it with pride and no one will know the difference. And when you find an investment piece that won't stop calling to you, save your pennies and indulge...because you're worth it! And it will be that much more worth it to you because you took your time, thought it through, and acted responsibly and within your budget.

Happy shopping fashionistas!!

No comments:

Post a Comment